There are major differences between a dentist and an orthodontist. While all orthodontist are dentist, only a small percentage of dentists are also orthodontists. However the dental health benefits are the same for everyone. When you care for your teeth, it benefits your smile and helps your orthodontic treatment go as planned.
- Achieve a balanced diet. This can be achieved by eating a variety of foods preferably from each of the five major food groups: breads, cereals and other grain products; fruits; vegetables; meat, poultry and fish; milk, cheese and yogurt.
- Limit the number of snacks that you eat. If you do snack, choose nutritious foods, such as cheese, raw vegetables, plain yogurt or a piece of fruit. Each time that you eat foods that contain sugars or starches, brush your teeth.
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth daily with floss or interdental cleaners.
- Maintain your regularly scheduled check-ups with your dentist.