orthodontic treatment. If you follow the rule of thumb and brush your teeth twice a day, floss often, and protect your appliances from damage, your treatment should be very successful.
One thing we’d like to add, is did you know there is another way to keep your teeth healthy and bright during your treatment with braces?
How is this possible? One word: fluoride. Fluoride is the mineral that helps prevent cavities and tooth decay. This mineral also helps keep your teeth strong. Fluoride comes in two varieties: topical and systemic. Depending on your oral health or the recommendation of Dr. Polgrean or Dr. Timmeny, you may be required to have a fluoride treatment every three, six, or 12 months.
If you have any other questions about fluoride or your treatment, please don’t hesitate to give Appletree Orthodontics a call!
Friday, April 28, 2017
Monday, April 17, 2017
No-Bake Strawberry & Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 (3 oz.) package strawberry jello
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip topping
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Using a food processor, pulse graham crackers until crumbly. Mix in sugar, ground cinnamon, and melted butter until crust forms.
- Press graham cracker crust into a 9-inch pie dish. Place pie crust in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, add boiling water and gelatin powder. Stir gelatin powder until completely dissolved.Then, add ½ cup cold water and ½ cup ice cubes, stir until gelatin is slightly thickened. TIP: Let the gelatin mixture sit for a few minutes to thicken slightly before you add the cool whip otherwise it won’t set up.
- Add cool whip topping to gelatin mixture and whisk together until light and fluffy. Stir in sliced strawberries. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Add strawberry pie filling to pie crust. Refrigerate for up to 6 hours or until firm. Top with cool whip and a slice strawberry. Serves 8.
For more braces-friendly recipes subscribe to the Appletree Orthodontics blog and connect with us on Facebook!
Friday, April 14, 2017
Spring is in the air! As the flower buds are peeking out and birds are starting to chirp, it's time to leave those thoughts of snowstorms behind. Spring can be a wonderful time to explore the outdoors or go for a walk around town. Get your family moving together and establish some healthy habits, away from the electronics indoors. We have 5 fun ideas to get you in the mood for the loveliest season of the year.
1. Dust off the sports gear. Find a kick a ball, throw a Frisbee, shoot hoops, whatever sports activity that you and your family enjoy doing.
2. Get dirty in the yard. Mow the grass. Pull weeds. Till flower beds. Replant. Cut back. Find the fun in getting sweaty, and teach your kids how to manage the landscaping while you do it.
3. Explore the outdoors. Hike a trail and check out the plants budding out of the ground.
4. Go to a baseball game. The beginning baseball season is one of the annual markers that warm weather is just around the corner. If you don't have it in your budget for pricey pro tickets, look into local league games, college, or even high school games to watch.
5. Make Something. Whether you're experimenting with a new recipe or creating a new craft, making something new will give your kids a sense of satisfaction.
After being cooped up all winter, everyone's ready for some fresh Spring air. We hope you will step into the warm weather with suggestions of fun activities for the entire family.